I spent some time over this past Saturday to take decent photos of the medallion that was in the box because the symbols are rather tiny and also difficult to see. I wanted to so some editing and manipulation to blow up the image to have a clearer view of the entire thing.
Here’s a photo taken with my dslr.
I did some rough image manipulation to increase the visibility of the symbols and produced…
Next steps I think are to separate the various symbols and do some indexing.
There appears to be two concentric sets of characters. Outer appears to be numbers and the inner are unique symbols. From a cursory investigation it looks like there is a one to one mapping of a number to a symbol.
No idea what to think about the center symbol.
There’s markings on the other side as well, but it didn’t seem as important or interesting. I can put it up later.